NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
GRANT FUNDED THROUGH JUNE 30, 2017 WITH THE POSSIBILITY OF AN EXTENSION
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Civil Service Title: EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS SPECIALIST
Title Code No.: 06766
Salary Range: $60,000 - $70,000
Office Title: INTERAGENCY TRAINING COORDINATOR
Division/Work Unit: TRAINING COORDINATOR
Work Location: 165 CADMAN PLAZA EAST, BROOKLYN, NY 11201
Hours/Shift: M – F / 9 – 5
Number of Positions: 1
The Interagency Training Coordinator will be responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive training program to support both intra-agency and inter-agency emergency management training. The overall goal of the program is to create a highly skilled emergency management community by offering the best training possible, building true leaders in the field who can respond to any type of emergency situation and coordinate effectively with fellow responder and agency partners.
Specifically with regard to training, the Interagency Training Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Instructional design & curriculum development for classroom and web-based delivery
- Translating emergency plans and related materials into training curriculum
- Working with subject matter experts to design and develop audience-appropriate, clear and concise training content
- Researching, evaluating, procuring and managing vendors we hire to develop curriculum material
- Developing and administering professional development training including time management, communication skills, leadership development, strategic planning. etc. for NYCEM personnel
- Supporting the NYC Emergency Management Learning Management System
- Managing logistical details to support trainings
- Delivering training and presentations as needed and required
- Assist with Ready New York presentations to external groups
The Interagency Training Coordinator will report directly to the Assistant Commissioner for Training.
The Interagency Training Coordinator will work as part of the Training & Exercise Unit and will be expected to support all related unit activities. The selected candidate will be expected to work non-business hours during emergencies and will be assigned to a periodic Emergency Operations Center Team.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire or police or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to work well under pressure
Previous experience with training as well as curriculum development and design
Experience with web-based eLearning training products
Certified to teach professional development courses
Technical aptitude to learn new applications
Strong graphic design experience
Knowledge of adult learning models and instructional design
Excellent meeting and time management skills
Ability to work on multiple projects concurrently
Strong public speaking skills
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS).
Go to Recruiting Activities Careers and search Job ID# 265020
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers/search and search Job ID# 265020
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.