NYC EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
GRANT FUNDED THROUGH SEPT. 30, 2017 WITH THE POSSIBILTY OF AN EXTENSION
CITYWIDE JOB VACANCY NOTICE
Title Code No.: 06766
Salary Range: $46,680 - $55,000
Office Title: SUPPORT SERVICES SPECIALIST
Division/Work Unit: TECHNOLOGY AND STRATEGIC RESOURCES
Work Location: 165 CADMAN PLAZA EAST, BROOKLYN, NY 11201
Hours/Shift: M – F / 9 - 5
Number of Positions: 01
New York City Emergency Management (NYCEM) is looking for a well-qualified person with strong customer service skills and a background in office management, administration, supply management or inventory control that would be able to contribute to NYCEM’s Support Services Unit. The Support Services Unit is responsible for the provision of the supplies, equipment and environment necessary for the agency to perform its mission during day-to-day operations and during emergencies.
Under the supervision of the Director of Support Services, the Support Services Specialist will work primarily at the NYCEM headquarters to assist in the management and distribution of agency supplies and equipment. The Support Services Specialist will work closely with the agency Support Services Coordinator, Emergency Support Center staff, Security staff and MIS staff to complete projects that benefit the agency.
This includes the following functions:
- Supply/Uniform Management and Distribution
- Maintains supply inventory; verifies inventory levels, notifies supervisor as to replacement needs or places orders as appropriate
- Maintains stock level in small supply closets
- Orders, receives, and stores supplies in storage room
- Locates stock and delivers requested items as requested
- Contacts vendors to reorder routine supplies; processes paperwork related to supply requests and manages supply budget.
- Performs annual inventory
- Mail and Package Management
- Prepares, processes and ships all mail and shipments via UPS, USPS, intracity, etc.
- Registers and processes all deliveries to NYCEM
- Distributes mail, packages and newspapers to agency staff
- Assists other units performing pickups and deliveries at other agency locations
- Other duties to maintain the work environment
- Manages distribution of work order requests using internal system (Track-It)
- Ensures office equipment is supplied with toner and paper
- Maintains kitchenettes and lunchroom, and ensures the have adequate supplies
- Ensures conference rooms are tidy and maintained at readiness
- Works with other units to implement and maintain an inventory management system and a resource request system at headquarters
- Manages special projects as assigned by the Director of Support Services
- Able and willing to perform physical labor when required
The selected candidate will be required to staff the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations and work during non-business hours during emergencies. The selected candidate will also participate in drills and exercises, and will assist with Ready New York presentations to external groups.
- A master’s degree from an accredited college in emergency management, public administration, urban planning, engineering, economics, political science, the physical sciences or related field and one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in one or a combination of the following: emergency management, fire, police, or military service, public safety, public health, public administration, urban planning, engineering, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made; or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the areas listed in “1” above; or
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent approved by a state’s department of education or a recognized accrediting organization and six years of satisfactory full-time professionalDP-2129 (R. 3/2003) JVN xxx experience in the areas listed in “1” above, at least two years of which must have been in one of those areas, or another specialized area to which the appointment is to be made.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
- Facilities management experience
- Inventory management experience
- Experience managing multiple projects in a high pressure work environment
- Familiarity with MS Office programs including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Experience in managing vendors and/or third-party logistics providers (3PL)
- Able to lift at least 50lbs
- Willingness to work as part of a team
- Posses a valid NYS drivers’ license]
Current City Employees: Apply via Employee Self-Service (ESS). Go to Recruiting ActivitiesCareers and search Job ID# 265015
Non-City Employees/External Candidates: Apply via NYC Careers. Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search
Job ID# 265015
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED