About the Black Emergency Managers Association
Black Emergency Managers Association (BEMA) International is the premier association of African and African-Descent Homeland Security & Disaster/Emergency Management professionals
BEMA’s mission is to provide information, networking, educational & professional development opportunities, specifically aimed at to advancing the public health, emergency management and homeland security profession within African and African-Descent communities.
BEMA International efforts are guided by a keen emphasis on the long-term healthy recovery of communities. BEMA coordinates, collaborates, and strengthens opportunities to assist in ensuring diversity and community involvement in all phases of emergent health and safety engagement inclusive of mobilization, grant opportunities, education and training, and community preparedness.
BEMA’s internship experience offers an e- virtual working environment to build and broaden one’s experiences. The internship opportunity is sculpted to attract the skills and services of an eager, results driven emerging professional or a retired professional who holds the passion, commitment and time to share
This internship gives an opportunity for those with a wide level of educational, leadership and professional background, both with or in the pursuit of undergraduate or master's level education to be in a unique position to cross collaborate nationally and internationally in the fields of disaster management, emergency response, agro-climate change, water food and waste management, public health, and public policy.
Overall, the internship experience allows for a rich opportunity to professionally network and enhance one’s influence and increase the capacity of BEMA in its national and global effort to mitigate, prepare for, respond to and recover from natural and man-made disasters, including terrorism.
12 Internship Positions available at present
➢ Senior Specialist
○ Research Assistant
➢ Communications Coordinator
○ Public Policy Coordinator
○ Africa Policy Assistant
○ Asia Policy Assistant
○ Native American/Indigenous Peoples Policy Assistant
○ Family, Child, Paternal and Maternal Health
○ Argo-Climate and Security Policy Assistant
➢ Fiscal Coordinator
○ Signature Engagement Assistant
○ Grants and Contracts Assistant
Initial Criteria for Internship Consideration
● Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) proficiency; internet research; detail and deadline oriented; ability to multi-task; strong communication skills (reading, speaking, writing).
● Must be a self-starter with the ability to take the initiative and anticipate future needs.
● A certain degree of creativity and latitude is required.
● The ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out tasks and to solve problems is needed.
● Capable of managing people and work.
● Multi lingual: Fluency in reading and professional writing ability in one or more non English languages
Training and Specialized Knowledge
· Determined by position
· Demonstration of capability required
· Letter of Reference Required
Expected START DATE for Internship
Expected END DATE for Internship:
Anticipated Total Practicum Hours
5-10 hours per week (product development driven outcome)
Location and Travel
The interns will primarily work remotely, with supervision to occur once per week, alternating between, e-video communication and in person meetings when necessary
Certain Interns, based upon experience and work assignment, will travel to various meetings /functions to represent BEMA International both nationally and internationally.
Travel will be, primarily, within the Washington DC, Delaware, Maryland and Virginia areas, but may also include interns attending engagements within the locale of their country of residence.
Ms. Veola B. Green
Director of Partnerships, Programs & Strategic Development
Black Emergency Managers Association International
1231 Good Hope Road SE
Washington, D.C 20020
Cell : 617-602-6272
Cooperation, Collaboration, Communication, Coordination, Community Engagement, and Partnering (C5&P)
A 501 (c) 3 organization
FOLLOW US ON
Thursday, April 6, 2017
Announcement BEMA International - Seeking Interns Globally. 2017
at 7:38:00 AM