Title: Head of Division, Preparedness and Response Division
Department/Agency: Africa CDC
Supervisor: Director of Africa CDC
Duty Station: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Number of Positions: 1
To lead and coordinate the Centre’s public health preparedness and response program. To also oversee multidisciplinary teams charged with carrying out specific technical work in developing, implementing, maintaining and evaluating the systems and tools to carry out the Centre’s pandemic preparedness and response framework, and implementation platform outlined in the Centre’s strategic plan. Also to build and maintain a continent-wide pandemic preparedness and response framework through the Regional Collaborating Centers (RCC) in collaborations with Member States, National Public Health Institutes, WHO-AFRO and other technical partners. In additional is expected to build related technical capacity of its constituent base through training and delivery of technical assistance.
The Head, Preparedness and Response Division of the Africa CDC shall:
• Lead and coordinate efforts to develop Africa CDC policies, guidance, standards and tools to guide
building of regional and national capacities and systems for emergency preparedness and response
• Lead and coordinate the establishment of functional national public health emergency operation centers (EOC), as part of National Public Health Institutes, and coordinate delivery of appropriate technical assistance to RCCs, and NPHI’s as appropriate;
• Leads and facilitates advocacy for countries to develop pandemic preparedness and response plans
working through the Regional Collaborating Centers;
• Coordinate delivery of technical support in conducting country assessments of preparedness and
response capacity, and subsequent development and testing of multi-hazard and multi-sectoral preparedness and response plans for public health emergencies at national, regional, and continental levels;
• Lead efforts to build, and coordinate the development of surge capacity at national, regional, and
continental levels that integrates capabilities of NPHIs and RCCs.
• Establish and maintain Regional Response Teams, strengthen and expand the capacities of the African Volunteer Health Corps (AVoHC);
• Lead and coordinate efforts to develop Africa CDC legal frameworks, technical standards and tools, and operational platforms and policies, guidance, mechanisms to guide and facilitate the emergency deployment of materials and staff,
• Establish and maintain (virtual) stockpiles of equipment and supplies and build capacity for rapid
deployment, monitoring and evaluation systems and other response requirements;
• Facilitate and promote sustained partnerships for multi-sectoral coordination and collaboration;
• Network with other global and continental public health agencies to monitor health security threats;
• Performs other related duties as may be assigned.