Emergency Management Specialist (Watch Officer)
U.S. Federal Government - Washington, DC
$66,510 - $103,639 a year
U.S. Federal Government - Washington, DC
$66,510 - $103,639 a year
- Summary This position is a GS-0089-11/12 with a full performance level of GS-12 and is part of FSEM Emergency Management,Office of Personnel Management. If selected, you will be responsible for providing telecommunications and information processing links between Federal, State, and local security/emergency management activities and OPM executive staff.
This position is also being announcement under the Agency's Merit Promotion Plan to federal employees and non-competitive appointment eligible. If you wish to be considered under Merit Promotion or Non-Competitive procedures, you MUST apply under the Merit Promotion announcement 18-025-JSB-MP.
Responsibilities As a Emergency Management Specialist (Watch Officer) at the GS-0089-11/12, some of your typical work assignments may include under supervision:
- Monitors various government and private sector systems to gather and disseminate emergency information relating to the occurrence, magnitude, and impact of actual or potential emergencies during local, regional, or national crisis'.
- Analyzes facsimile, news reporting services, computer based systems, weather information services, telephones and other government information and communications systems (secure and non-secure) for potential and actual emergency situations; analyzes information and makes recommendations for appropriate follow-on actions.
- Monitors increased multi-agency government readiness activities and alerts appropriate multi-agency senior government officials, as necessary.
- Monitors the National Warning System (NAWAS) to ensure continuity of information flow and consistency with other sources of information.
- Safeguard National Security Information as outlined in Executive Order 13526 along with other executive agency directives and regulations. Maintain proficiency with derivative classifications markings and the document control program.
Travel Required Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Supervisory status No
Promotion Potential 12
Who May Apply This job is open to… United States Citizens Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Job family (Series) 0089 Emergency Management Specialist
- Requirements Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered for Selective Service
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period
Qualifications For the GS-11: You must have at least one year of experience equivalent to the GS-9 level in the Federal Service that includes a comprehensive knowledge of physical security, personnel security, and emergency action security; recognize emergency situations to alert authorities; and apply knowledge of policies and procedures to govern emergency actions. OR Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related. OR A combination of education and experience.
For the GS-12 : You must have at least one year of experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in the Federal Service that includes providing a full range of security services such as planning, developing, implementing and maintaining physical security, personnel security, and emergency action security; gather and disseminate emergency information to alert authorities and recommend course of action; and providing advice and guidance to govern emergency actions.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Education ARE YOU USING YOUR EDUCATION TO QUALIFY? You MUST provide transcripts or other documentation to support your educational claims. Unless otherwise stated: (1) official or unofficial transcripts are acceptable, or (2) you may submit a list with all of your courses, grades, semester, year, and credit for the course. All materials must be submitted by the closing date of the announcement.
PASS/FAIL COURSES : If more than 10 percent of your undergraduate course work (credit hours) was taken on a pass/fail basis, your claim of superior academic achievement must be based upon class standing or membership in an honor society.
GRADUATE EDUCATION : One academic year of graduate education is considered to be the number of credits hours that your graduate school has determined to represent one academic year of full-time study. Such study may have been performed on a full-time or part-time basis. If you cannot obtain your graduate school's definition of one year of graduate study, 18 semester hours (or 27 quarter hours) should be considered as satisfying the requirement for one year of full-time graduate study.
FOREIGN EDUCATION : If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit:
Additional information Relocation expenses will not be paid.
The full performance level of this position is GS-12.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional similar vacancies across OPM.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=Alternate_Application_Information
If you are a veteran and you are claiming 5-point veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility.
If you are a veteran and you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form. For more information on veterans' preference (see https://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx ).
Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx ).
How You Will Be Evaluated You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
For Category Rating : Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to one of the three quality categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, or Best Qualified. Qualified Category = Does not exceed the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement. Well Qualified Category = Meets the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and demonstrates proficiency in the Critical Competencies defined below. (This category must be met to be considered under ICTAP procedures) Best Qualified Category = Meets the basic qualifications requirements described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement and excels in the Critical Competencies defined below. The category assignment is a measure of the degree in which your background matches the competencies required for this position.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Analytical Skill
- Emergency Action Knowledge
- Office Automation
- Planning and Evaluating
- Written and Oral Communication
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligible within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent or higher will be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-09 level or higher).
Career Transition Assistance Programs : These programs apply to employees who have been involuntarily separated from a Federal service position within the competitive service or Federal service employees whose positions have been deemed surplus or no longer needed. To receive selection priority for this position, you must: 1) meet CTAP or ICTAP eligibility criteria; 2) be rated well-qualified for the position with a score of 80 or above based on the competencies listed above; and 3) submit the appropriate documentation to support your CTAP or ICTAP eligibility. For more information visit: http://www.opm.gov/rif/employee_guides/career_transition.asp .
Background checks and security clearance Security clearance Top Secret/SCI
- Required Documents Required Documents To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed.
- Other supporting documents :
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
- Cover Letter, optional
- College Transcript(s), if qualifying based on education
- Veterans' Preference documentation, if applicable (e.g. DD-214 Member Copy 4 showing type of discharge/character of service; Current Active Duty members must submit a certification of expected discharge or release from active duty under honorable conditions dated within 120 days; SF-15 Form and related documentation; VA letter.)
- Career Transition Assistance Program/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g. Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal.)
- Worker's Compensation Separation : Agency certification of inability to place employee AND Notification of Separation OR Separation SF-50.
- Disability Annuity Termination : Notification from OPM of disability annuity termination AND Separation SF-50 of the last position held.
- Military Reserve or National Guard Technician Special Disability Retirement Annuity under 5 U.S.C. 8337(h) or 8456 : Certification of special disability retirement annuity from a military department or National Guard Bureau AND Separation SF-50 of the last position held
- Benefits Benefits A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding.
- Benefits for federal employees
- Healthcare insurance
- Pay and leave
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.