House Bill Requires FEMA to Provide a Plan for More Consistent Guidance After Disasters
Bill’s author cites past incidents of lost paperwork, poor coordination as impetus for legislation.
BY STAFF REPORT / MARCH 28, 2017
A bill requiring FEMA to come up with a plan to provide “consistent guidance and accurate information” following a disaster passed the U.S. House of Representatives on a bipartisan 408-0 vote.
The FEMA Relief Improvement Act requires FEMA to “focus efforts on its core mission — helping people recover from disasters,” said the bill’s author, Rep. Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., in a press release. “When people go through a disaster, such as floods or tornadoes, the people need to know that relief is on the way. From past disasters in Missouri, there have been repeated incidents of lost or misplaced paperwork, poor coordination between state and federal agencies and general lack of information from FEMA officials.”
The act requires FEMA to improve field transition by:
• Providing consistent guidance to applicants on FEMA disaster funding procedures during the response to an emergency or disaster;
• Conducting appropriate record maintenance and transfer of documents to new teams during staff transitions;
• Providing accurate assistance to applicants and grantees to ease the administrative burden throughout the process of obtaining and monitoring assistance;
• Implementing operating procedures and documenting retention requirements to ensure the maintenance of appropriate records throughout the life cycle of the disaster; and
• Identifying new technologies that further aid the disaster workforce in partnering with state, local, and tribal governments and private nonprofits in the wake of a disaster to educate, assist and inform applicants on the status of their disaster assistance applications.
BEMA is a 501c3 Nonprofit Organization. All donations, and membership dues\fees are tax deductible.
Drink Life Beverages ....A Woman Owned Enterprise
Drink for Life. Communities drinking and eating well.
..Haiti. We will not forget.
High-quality preparedness products.
Online Courses Free College Courses
The PhD Project
Mission is to increase the diversity of corporate America by increasing the diversity of business school faculty. We attract African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans and Native Americans to business Ph.D. programs, and provide a network of peer support on their journey to becoming professors.
The HIVE 2.0
Contact us at......
Black Emergency Managers Association. 1231 Good Hope Road. S.E. Washington, D.C. 20020