8 Cities With the World's Largest Slums
- Manshiyat Nasser, Cairo.
- Cite-Soleil, Port au Prince, Haiti.
- Khayelitsha, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Tondo, Manila, Philippines.
- Dharavi, Mumbai.
- Ciudad Nezahualcoyotl (Neza), Mexico City.
- Kibera, Kawangware and Mathare, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Orangi Town, Karachi, Pakistan.
1. Manshiyat Nasser, Cairo
2. Cite-Soleil, Port
au Prince, Haiti
3. Khayelitsha, Cape Town, South Africa
4. Tondo, Manila,
5. Dharavi, Mumbai
Population: 1 million
Romanticized in the Oscar-winning film "Slumdog Millionaire," Dharavi is a sprawling warren of narrow lanes, interconnected shacks and single-room living spaces that double as factories. Residents work as potters, leather tanners, weavers and soap makers amid the slum's open drains; some estimates peg the teeming community's annual sales as high as $1 billion.
Nezahualcoyotl (Neza), Mexico City
7. Kibera, Kawangware
and Mathare, Nairobi, Kenya
8. Orangi Town,