Tuesday, December 28, 2021
CENSA’s newest board member, Mr. Kevin Ryan. Kevin is a U.S. Army Intelligence Officer. December 2021
It is my great pleasure to introduce to you CENSA’s newest board member, Mr. Kevin Ryan. Kevin is a U.S. Army Intelligence Officer, who has held senior intelligence positions at the company, battalion, brigade, and division levels. Kevin has served in both conventional and special operations units -- deploying multiple times to Iraq and Afghanistan. Most recently he served as a Defense Congressional Fellow in the US Senate, and as the Intelligence Portfolio manager for the Army's Office of the Chief Legislative Liaison.
Kevin joins the board after being a CENSA member for the last three years, having led several CENSA working groups - including one that published a CENSA paper on improving artificial intelligence expertise in the national security workforce. Kevin will be assuming the responsibilities of Director of Finance for CENSA. Kevin replaces Board Member Christopher McGuire, who is taking a temporary leave of absence while serving in a new position in the U.S. government. We thank Chris for his contributions and leadership on the board for the last three years and wish him the best of luck in his new responsibilites.
Finally, I’d like to wish you a wonderful holiday season and happy new year - we look forward to seeing you all at a CENSA event (hopefully in person) in 2022.
William J. Denn
Chairman of the Board of Directors
Council for Emerging National Security Affairs
Thursday, December 23, 2021
Dear MCR2030 local government and municipality representatives,
As the first year of Making Cities Resilient 2030 draws to a close it is very encouraging to see such progress from cities and districts all over the world in understanding, communicating and managing their climate and disaster risk more effectively.
MCR2030 already has nearly 630 member local governments covering a population of almost 440 million. We also have seen a number of Resilience Hubs emerge. These are municipalities committed not only to protecting their own citizens and city’s infrastructure systems and assets but inspiring and supporting other local governments to move do the same.
Local governments are on the ‘frontline of opportunity’ in this era of the Climate Emergency. It is at the municipality level that the biggest dividend in avoided future disaster losses can be reaped.
The evidence is clear: those cities that invest to better understand, communicate, and manage their climate and disaster risk protect the lives and livelihoods of their citizens as well as their local infrastructure systems and assets.
With more than 90% of all disasters now related to climate change and extreme weather events, inaction will only escalate risk and losses. Climate change is generating more powerful storms, exacerbating coastal flooding, causing more deadly heatwaves, and prompting greater water shortages and more protracted drought. It is amplifying disaster losses, both in terms of human lives and livelihoods as well as the overall economy. And these losses are increasingly concentrated in urban areas.
Local leadership and capacity to better understand, communicate, and manage this increasing climate and disaster risk is a huge opportunity to invest in a resilient future; one where citizens continue to be safe and economically active; their homes remain dry; roads stay clear; bridges remain standing; power and water supplies keep working; and schools and hospitals stay open.
Local governments that do now in terms of climate and disaster resilience, the less they will suffer – and the less they will pay – in the future.
Reducing the impact of disasters: keeps people out of poverty; protects hard-earned local development gains; and enables municipalities to become more inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable.
In 2022, MCR2030 is committed to supporting your municipality to continue its progress along the Resilience Roadmap with increased and easier access to support, tools and services to help your local government along that journey.
For latest news on the MCR2030 website, please visit here: https://mcr2030.undrr.org/mcr-latest-news
To access all the resources available on the MCR203 website, please visit here: https://mcr2030.undrr.org/
And for those active on LinkedIn please visit the MCR2030 page
Best wishes to all our member local governments and service providers for a resilient and safe 2022!
United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNDRR)
Office for Northeast Asia & Global Education and Training Institute
4F, G-Tower, 175 Art Center Daero, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon 22004, Republic of Korea
Friday, December 17, 2021
Detroit Black Community Food Security Network continues to be a leader in building community-based food initiatives. We operate the seven-acre D-Town Farm, educate young people through our Food Warriors Youth Development Program and are making significant progress in developing the Detroit People’s Food Co-op and the Detroit Food Commons.
"The food economy is the first economy of any society. As we’re thinking about how we build a more sustainable and just economy, food has to figure prominently in that.”
Thursday, December 16, 2021
Haitian Migration: Food Insecurity, Fragility, and a Better Way Forward
November 22, 2021
By Jamie Lutz and Erol Yayboke
Recent coverage of Haitians arriving at the U.S. border is only a snapshot of a years-long journey in search of safety and food security. A U.S. strategy toward Haiti must consider the links between hunger and migration and prioritize food security as a pillar of stability.
Read the Commentary
Search This Blog
- Mission & Vision
- Membership Application and Dues
- The Power of the Diaspora
- Training: Mental Health First Aid
- Disaster Declaration Process in the United States. June 2020
- Disaster Declaration Process. Figuring out FEMA. But what about your Local and State Obligations? September 2021
- Let's Get Started with your FEMA Training for many...
- U.S. CERT Basic Training & Material (Online and ...
- U.S. FEMA Training & College Credits
- U.S. and International Emergency, Disaster, Crisis...
- U.S. EM Certifications by State (U.S.)
- U.S. CERT. What is CERT (Community Emergency Resp...
- U.S. CERT TEEN CERT
- U.S. CERT Campus CERT (Colleges and Universities...
- U.S. CERT LIABILITY
- U.S. CERT Workplace CERT
- Whole Community: Community Participation, Faith B...
- Whole Community: Individual Functional Needs (Dis...
- Whole Community: Reentry Program
- U.S. Education: HBCUs
- U.S. CERT. Register, Join, and Locate a CERT TEAM...
- Caribbean / Latin America Disaster Readiness Manua...
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools. E...
- Pamper Your Drain. Adopt A Drain. Climate Change ...
- Resiliency and Resiliency Building
- RECOMMENDED READING LIST
- NAACP: In the Eye of the Storm: A People’s Guide ...
- Iraq’s Fareed Yasseen given 2021 ‘Ambassador of th...
- CENSA’s newest board member, Mr. Kevin Ryan. Kevin...
- First year of Making Cities Resilient 2030 draws t...
- Food Insecurity: Bananas. El Pulpo
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Adaptation Progress. ...
- 5th National Adaptation Forum October 25-27, 2022
- Share, Watch, and Re-Watch the Tribal & Indigenous...
- Sheltering Fundamentals Training. Free.
- Detroit Black Community Food Security Network. Fo...
- Food Insecurity: Haiti, Global Health, Farming, N...
- MENTAL HEALTH EQUITY FORUM 5:30 PM | Thursday, Ja...
- $93 billion support package to boost resilient rec...
- Join Dec. 20 Webinar on Harm Reduction NOFO ...
- Ways Parents Can Encourage Positive Digital Behavi...
- Free Courses. Global Network of Civil Society Org...
- Climate Change: Adapt for the Future, Not the Past...
- All Humans Are Born Equal in Rights? That’s Still ...
- Young Leaders Devise Solutions for the Future. De...
- Greed-Driven Pandemic Still Killing Millions. Dec...
- Free and Online Friday through Sunday. Function a...
- Banks, Credit. Racial Profiling. Banking while B...
- Cuba’s bet on home-grown COVID vaccines is paying ...
- Join us: Reflections on Critical Race Theory. We...
- Recovery\Homelessness. It ain't just in Los Angel...
- American Red Cross: Regional Disaster Cycle Servic...
- Congratulations: Queen Mother of Ghana Dr. Gloria...
- CDRI is looking for a Director General - Apply now!
- Baltimore. Our next leader taking a lead with Mor...
- Community Responder Programs Toolkit
- Job Opportunities: NYC OEM
- Fellowship Program. College Level. Citizen Scien...
- Hightlights. Interracial Multicultural Forum & Di...
- 2022 Public Administration Research Conference (PA...
- Expanding the Communities' Capacity to Heal Itself...
- Nominate Delegates to the Center for Indigenous In...
- "Just Get the Shot!" Washington Diplomat. Op0Ed...
- Bank of America Student Leaders Program. Apply Now!
- Investigating Allegations of Sexual Exploitation a...
- ▼ December (38)
- ► 2020 (767)
- ► 2019 (155)
- ► 2018 (201)
- ► 2017 (318)
- ► 2016 (184)
- ► 2015 (127)
- ► 2014 (198)
- ► 2013 (270)
- ► 2012 (558)