· HBCU Conference. 19-20 September 2011.
o Breakout session: ‘Black Male Initiative’. Interesting note of number\percentage of black males currently incarcerated or considered ex-offenders.
Noted positive (college, military, employment), and negative (death, prison, unemployment) options presented by Dr. Ronald Williams (Pres. Southern Univ. System).
· Can we as African-American emergency managers and members of BEMA contribute to each of the positive options, and reduce the negative options available to black males?
· Can we as African-American emergency managers and members of BEMA contribute to providing a platform whereby we promote a ‘whole community’ approach to emergency management in the African-American & all communities by advocating FEMA EMI,
CERT, and SERT (Student Emergency Response Team) training to ex-offenders on reentry programs?
· Can we provide a method where ex-offenders reenter\return to their communities with a skill that would contribute to community embracing them?
· Can ex-offenders contribute to the planning, preparedness, short & long term recovery of the community following a disaster event (man-made, natural)?