Photo by Lucy Nicholson/Reuters
The incarceration rate in the United States fell to a historic low prior to the pandemic, and concerns about transmission of the virus only accelerated this decline. The same trend has played out in the nation's juvenile detention centers, with the same result: empty beds in expensive correctional facilities.
According to RAND experts, this presents an opportunity to reclaim and redirect billions of dollars toward education, job training, transportation, and other community services.
Shifting resources away from prisons, juvenile detention centers, and jails may be a durable approach to supporting criminal justice reform and investing in vulnerable communities, the researchers say. The savings could pay for some of the aims of “defund the police” campaigns in a way that “has more political support and no trade-off on public safety.” Read more »
Thursday, August 12, 2021
Reallocation for youth programs. Defund the Police? Defunding Prisons? August 2021
Search This Blog
- Mission & Vision
- Membership Application and Dues
- The Power of the Diaspora
- Training: Mental Health First Aid
- Disaster Declaration Process in the United States. June 2020
- Disaster Declaration Process. Figuring out FEMA. But what about your Local and State Obligations? September 2021
- Let's Get Started with your FEMA Training for many...
- U.S. CERT Basic Training & Material (Online and ...
- U.S. FEMA Training & College Credits
- U.S. and International Emergency, Disaster, Crisis...
- U.S. EM Certifications by State (U.S.)
- U.S. CERT. What is CERT (Community Emergency Resp...
- U.S. CERT TEEN CERT
- U.S. CERT Campus CERT (Colleges and Universities...
- U.S. CERT LIABILITY
- U.S. CERT Workplace CERT
- Whole Community: Community Participation, Faith B...
- Whole Community: Individual Functional Needs (Dis...
- Whole Community: Reentry Program
- U.S. Education: HBCUs
- U.S. CERT. Register, Join, and Locate a CERT TEAM in your community
- Caribbean / Latin America Disaster Readiness Manua...
- Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools. E...
- Pamper Your Drain. Adopt A Drain. Climate Change ...
- Resiliency and Resiliency Building
- RECOMMENDED READING LIST
- NAACP: In the Eye of the Storm: A People’s Guide ...